Sunday, October 25, 2009

I Dream In Colors

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

Yet another set of pages for another circle journal. This is the one where all the artists select certain colors and all the art that is contributed by other artists are done in those colors. This was a set of pages for Lee Hynes and her colors were a deep gold, watermelon and teal. My whole inspiration was a poem I found on Teesha Moore's site about art being a lover with large wings. Here are the details of the pages.

1. The background is done similar to the other journal pages I posted a few days ago. I started with a heavy watercolor paper and laid down my stencil masks on the corners. I did an overall spray of walnut ink then dabbed off the excess to lighten it up. I removed the stencil masks and put down a strip of "sequin waste" ribbon and sprayed over it with my own mixture of Lee's colors as I describe in my video tutorial on how to work with metallic powders. (It covers the Tim Holtz method of mixing your own "glimmer mists".) I removed the sequin waste ribbon and dabbed off the excess in certain spots and sprayed again to intensify the color.

2. After the background was dried I cut the teal colored scrolls from tissue paper and Mod Podged them down. (A feat that is easier said then done.) To cover the pencil marks to tell where to brush the Mod Podge I took a gold metallic marker and drew around each scroll very loosly.

3. The wings I drew on my computer and then printed on the same heavy watercolor paper in a sepia tone. I then painted in all the shadows using regular watercolors in golds and sepia tones. Once that was dry I painted a wash of metallic teal over both wings to make them shimmer.

4. The image was something I bought and hand colored on my computer in Photoshop to match Lee's colors. Once she was printed out and glued down I embellished her headpiece with rhinestones and pearls. I then created a pendant and hung it from some antique gold chain I had. I also stitched more of the chain around her throat to mimic the necklace she already has on. I then attached self adhesive pearls in between the rows of chain to complete her "collar".

5. The last part was to attach the quote to a piece of mulberry paper and glue that to the page.

6. Since the artwork was done in one piece I then had to cut it apart to put the pages into Lee' journal. I was very nervous to even do this but I managed to cut it apart without ruining it. I then had to glue it to a backing page which had another artist work on it and punch the holes in each page. (Something else that again made me nervous.) I again managed to do it all without destroying my work or someone else's and even get it in the journal. (That required taking all the pages off the spiral coil and putting mine on then replacing all the other pages.)

2 comments:

Linda Dunn said...

Awesome work on these pages!

LOL ~ I will make a mental note about tissue paper & Modge Podge!

Thanks for sharing.

Janny said...

Fabulous pages!