Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Best Friend

I find the house very quiet this morning. There is no "clicky-clack" of toe nails following me down the hall to the kitchen. There is no cold wet nose on my knees as I try to go to the bathroom in peace. I don't have to feed him or let him out and there is no "single" bark to signify that he wants back in. There was no one to share the last bite of my breakfast this morning or lick my plate clean last night. No one to give the fatty parts of my steak to and I felt like it was a waste to throw them away. I don't have to put a blanket on our nice leather couch before I leave to get my nails done today. (So he won't try to "nest" and scratch the leather.) I don't have to put gates up in the bedroom doors so he won't get into the baskets. This morning when I took the trash out I didn't have to worry about shutting the front door so he wouldn't get out. There was no one waiting on the bed last night for his tummy rub before we went to sleep. There was not 4 feet kicking me at 3am because he was dreaming of chasing some backyard animal. There was no one to stare at me to wake me this morning because he wanted to be fed.

I know I did the right thing to end his suffering and you would think that I would not miss all the annoyances that I listed above. But you would be wrong....I miss my boy very much.

Below is a scrapbook that measures 6" x 6" that I did a number of years ago and I am very glad I have it now. I know some of you may think that he was only a dog but it's not true. He wasn't a dog at all... he was my best friend and he loved me no matter what.

Click on the picture to see a larger view.









12 comments:

Elaine A said...

Oh my dear Val -

I am so sorry about your baby. Having gone through this, I fully understand your feelings. They take up such a big part of our lives and give us so much love. The pain will lessen with the passing of time, but you will never forget him. You had to make a very hard decision. Your feelings had to be put aside and you had to do what was right for him. You made the right choice, but it hurts all the same. Please know that I am thinking of you.

Elaine Allen

Pixie said...

Gosh, I am so sorry. Hard decision, I know. What a sweet face that boy had and what a lucky pair you two were to have each other!

big hugs to you

sjhackney said...

I'm thinking of you and the loss of your beloved friend today. I had to make that decision before...It is hard. Sally

Linda from Vegas said...

I am so very sorry you lost your best friend. Just a dog? I don't think so. After years of giving you unconditional love, he was a very important part of your heart, soul and life. I have three of the pesky little things and would be lost without them.

Jan said...

This has brought me to tears Val. Such a beautiful handsome boy and so very sad. But you have done the right thing. The tremendous guilt we feel on these occasions is so very, very painful and nothing anyone says will ease it at the moment. But he is no longer suffering and that is the kindess gift you could have given him. I am thinking of you x

Linda Dunn said...

Your book is beautiful. Condolences and hugs.

Connie said...

Oh Val, my heart aches for you. Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous scrapbook. Gotta go hug my sweet pet. xo Connie

Juliet A said...

What a beautiful way to remember your baby - Thank you for sharing it with us.

Elena said...

Oh hell!!! I hate to cry!!! But reading your words has me weeping like a baby. You know I lost my Candy in April and it still hurts. I have 8 other babies that I will cry for when they cross over that wonderful rainbow bridge but I thank God every day for them and their love. These 4 legged children are the only ones in the world that love you unconditionally; are never mad at you no matter how crappy you may have been to him today; wont walk away when you are sick or sad but will cuddle with you and share your feelings, your hurt. You were lucky to have him for so long Val. And he was very lucky to have you.

Jenxo said...

Such a beautiful and sad post......

he was family , hugs to you...

Artist724 said...

I'm so sorry about your precious baby. We're going to be facing that decision all too soon. Only a dog owner knows how deep the love is and can feel how deep the loss is. I hope you find comfort in your beautiful book.

Susan said...

Valerie, this is the first time I have seen this post. I've already shared with you at the time my feelings on our fur-children, and th hole they leave. so I won't say I'm sorry again, as you know that to be true. Additionally you have new furry love!! :)

I just want to say how lovely this little scrap book is. Your scrapping style seems a lot like mine.

Start a big one one Dexter!!
Love n hugs,
Susan (G)