Sunday, August 30, 2009

Through The Eyes Of An Artist

Click on the picture to see a larger view.


This is another page for one of the circle journals I am involved in doing. This page is for Elena who was the lady that started both of the journal groups going. Her theme that she chose was to use keys. (Not everyone chose a theme.) I came across the saying a while ago and have been waiting to get her journal to use it in. These page were also inspired by a lady who doesn't even know me but I A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y love her blog! You may remember me mentioning her before but her name is Ingvild Bohme and she is from Norway. She is a designer for Prima Marketing and does wonderful "shabby chic" type of scrapbook pages. (Check out her blog here.) Here are the details of the pages.

1. The background paper started out as ivory with black dots but I took 3 shades of lime green acrylic on one brush and randomly painted the paper until it was covered. I then took a craft knife and scratched the living daylights out of the edges with a block of wood underneath to save my table. I painted the edges with a rust acrylic after I distressed them and rubbed my tea dye Distress Ink pad all over.

2. The base paper is edged lightly with black soot Distress Ink and brushed with clear water to soften it.

3. The piece of aqua paper is rubber stamped with a darker aqua ink using an Anna Griffin stamp I have. Then I tore the triangle shape and wet the edges with watered down tea dye ink. I then rolled the edges between my fingers a lot to tear and distress them. I did the same treatment to 2 other pieces of paper which sit underneath it. (A cream harlequin pattern and a black handwriting paper.)

4. The rust colored flowers are hand painted with more of the tea dye ink and then cut out. They are stamped from another Anna Griffin stamp that I have. The butterfly is also a stamp that was hand colored.

5. The number "3" and the hinges are all painted with the Sophisticated Finishes paint that I love so much. It has iron particle in it that rust when you put the "patina" solution on it.

6. The title is die cut from a set made by Cuttlebug called "Harmony". The "life" part of the title is rubberstamped and embossed on a Russian dictionary page then aged with tea dye distress ink. (The postage stamp is a punch I own.)

7. The ribbon along the edge came as a last resort effort to change the sewing that I had stitched along the edge. Once it was done I felt the thread I had used looked too "kelly green" so I wove the silk ribbon through it in an attempt to cover it up. A happy accident that I like better then just the original stitching lines. It just goes to prove one of my favorite sayings. " A mistake is only an embellishment opportunity".

8. The black eyed susan's are punchart that I chalked and shaped with an embossing stylus to make them look 3-dimensional. (The centers are filled with dried coffee grounds.) The green scrolls around the flowers are die cut from paper that was embossed with a glitter powder that I mixed myself. (1 part lime green embossing powder, 1 part clear powder, 1 part lime green glitter.)

9. The lace was a hostess gift I received and the frame around the number "3" is a stamped and embossed image that I hand cut. The frames for the locks on page 2 are rubber stamped and embossed with a "postage" stamp image. (I cut the center image out to make the frames.)

10. On page 2 the keys were originally black so I painted them with white acrylic and sanded off certain parts. I wanted to match the locks which I already had in the white finish. The keys were then glue dotted to the page and had beads stitched around them to look like they were holding the keys.

11. A note on the eyelets that are on the second page. It is deceiving to know how small they actually are. A sharpened pencil lead will not fit all the way through. So yeah they are very hard to set easily.

No comments: