Friday, July 3, 2009

"D" is for Dragonfly

Click on the picture to see a larger view.


This is a 4"x 4" card that I have done for the monthly Alphabetical swap I host on my Yahoo list. Every month is a different letter and the card must be something that starts with that letter. I LOVE dragonflies so for "D" it was an easy one.

Here are the details.

1. The wings are made from "Fantasy Film" in Raspberry. You take 3 or 4 layers and cut it a little larger then the stamp you are using. Put Staz-On ink on the stamp then turn it rubber side up. Lay on the film and then cover with a no stick craft sheet or parchment paper. Take an iron set on medium and set it on the stamp for about 3 to 4 seconds. When you lift it off it has fused the ink and film together. Cut it out and mount it on your art. ( I enhanced my dragonfly further by coloring the film with raspberry alcohol ink. )

2. The body is shaped out of a really small dowel rod that was sanded to shape the tail. The upper body was a larger dowel rod sanded round and then a hole was drilled to glue in the smaller tail. I painted it black and cut slits for the wings and glued them in. The eyes are 2 crystal beads on head pins that are stuck down into the dowel rod.

4 comments:

June said...

Valerie its gorgous. I love dragonflies and this is beautiful
Hugs June xx

Melange said...

You have been give a blog award. Drop by my blog to see it. have a safe and wonderful 4th
tracy

paperqueen said...

Beautiful! You are so generous, not merely doing what you love, but sharing what you do.
So.....You have been given a blog award. Please stop by my blog to see what it is.
Eileen
http://artsaveslives-paperqueen.blogspot.com/2009/07/karma-award.html

Rosie Rowe said...

Awesome dragonfly and thanks for sharing the fantasy film process. I'm off to try that out!