Click on the picture to see a larger view.
This page is for a chunky book swap on my Yahoo list. I found these books in the dollar bin at Michael's so I grabbed about 40 of them. The whole idea for this page started when I saw the wire nests that Diana Becker had posted on her blog. Once I found out how to make them it was only natural to pair it with some "field guild" illustrations of birds and eggs. The feather is a carved bone bead that I found at a local craft store and the poem I stumbled across on the web somewhere. Here are some more of the details.
1. The frame around the egg is die cut from chip board and then painted with the "Sophisticated Finishes" paint that I so love. I used the "blackened bronze" metallic surfacer with a "patina blue" solution to give it that deep teal color.
2. The inside of the frame has a piece of acetate that I lightly dabbed with hazelnut alcohol ink to make the egg print look aged.
3. The bone feather bead was too stark as a natural bone color so I darkened it with several colors of alcohol ink. ( hazelnut, espresso, rust and sandal.)
4. The feather is sitting on a piece of plain cotton muslin that I dyed with Tim Holtz Distress ink in "old paper" and "tea dye" colors. I then pulled threads out of each side to make it more tattered.
5. The edges of the house page are rubbed with "old paper" Distress ink and then rubbed with light blue chalk once it was dry.