Tuesday, June 2, 2009

"C" is for Cherry Blossom

Click on the picture to a larger view.

This is another 4"x 4" card done for the Alphabetical swap on my Yahoo group. It was harder to come up with a letter "C" then I thought it would be. I finally settled on Cherry Blossom as I seem to be stuck on doing Asian inspired themes lately. Here are the details for all of you that are interested.

1. The branches are cut from real wood paper and then tinted with acrylic paints to add the shadow and highlights.
2. The background is a handmade paper that I used a large mop brush and "Fired Brick" Distress ink to darken the corners with. I also rubbed it on the outside edges of the card.
3. I took a gold paint pen and carefully edged the red background paper. The asian calligraphy is an old book page.
4. The flowers are punches that are shaped with an embossing tools and then chalked to shade the center.
5. The title is an alphabet die cut set from Quickutz called "Katie- Skinny Minnie"
6. The birds nest was something I saw on Diana Becker's blog and she got the idea from another blog called "Just Something I Made." It is made with very small "rice" pearls and 26 gauge wire. You simply string the pearls and then wrap the wire around them several times then continue wrapping and weaving in and out and around until you have a mess of wire to form the nest. (The more kinks, and the messier it is, the better.)
7. The kanji in the lower left hand corner is one I had made especially for me using my name and interests to create it. (I ordered it from a company called "Good Characters".)

No comments: