Saturday, May 9, 2009

Venetian Masks

Click on the picture to see a larger view.


Maggie Lind came up with a great idea to have a Venetian masks swap on my Yahoo list. I created a bunch of mask patterns for everyone to use but they wanted something that was more 3D so here is what I came up with.

I took some black polymer clay and rolled it through my pasta machine to get a flat sheet. (I don't use the pasta machine for anything but clay.) Once I got the flat sheet I took a rubber stamp dusted with baby powder and pressed it into the clay to leave an impression. Then I took one of the mask patterns I designed, placed it on the clay and cut around it with a craft knife. To give the mask its shape I took a piece of foil and wadded it up and created a face like form that I could mold the clay too. Basically you just need a nose and 2 indents for the eyes. Once I got it the shape I wanted I rubbed on some Pearl Ex powders with my fingers and placed the mask in the oven to bake right on the foil form. (You need to let it cool on the form so it will retain it's shape.)

Now I just have to decide how to decorate them for the "Enchanted Masquerade" swap. Don't worry I'll be sure and post them again when they are all "blinged" out.

No comments: