Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday Digital Download

To download click on the picture to get a full size image. Right click and "save to" your computer desktop or a folder of your choice. (Images must be increased in size by 200% to use as 12" x 12" paper.)




The above designs were an idea I got from watching a quilting show. (I know... sounds crazy huh!) These 4 papers are part of a series I call "Pixel Stripe". They are done by selecting a one pixel wide strip from a photo or other piece of art. The strip is then pasted on a 12x12 work area and I expand it to reach across the whole work area. (This creates a striped piece of "paper".) I create several layers of the same set of stripes and then I go in and rotate on layer a little. Sometimes I will go to the filters and warp, swirl or do any number of things to distort the stripes into waves. I will select a 1 or 2 inch band of "waves" and copy them to a new 12x12 working area. I copy and paste enough of these stripes to go across the whole 12 inch space and I "flip" every other stripe vertically so that it mirrors it's neighboring stripe. I do several sets of these and I paste them all into one 12x12 work area with each one on a separate layer. Then The magic happens when I turn "on" and turn "off" certain layers and I blend them together using either "lighten", "darken", or "overlay". The result is the glamorous waves and sinuous curves of overlapping color you see above.

I know it all sounds like a daunting process and some of the language may not be familiar to you if you are not a Photoshop user but it is all easier then it sounds. Maybe one day I will do a screen shot tutorial on how to make these beautiful papers.

1 comment:

Juliet A said...

Yes, I do very much want a tutorial. I can't picture what you are describing at all, I'm afraid. perhaps you could set up your video camera to look over your shoulder while you are working?