Monday, April 13, 2009

A Little Bird Told Me...

Click on the picture to see a larger view.



I was emailed by Tanya from my Yahoo group telling me about these cute little birdhouses she had found at Dollar Tree. I LOVED them so much I insisted we do a swap with them. These 2 are some of the samples I have been making so that my Yahoo group can get some inspiration. (I finished another one today but the topcoat of varnish has to dry before I can photograph it.)

Pink Frosting - I glued die cuts out of thick card stock on to the roof and front and then painted over the whole house with white. I then glazed it with a pink tone and then a dark chocolate tone and wiped off the excess glaze in between coats. I painted white ribbon roses in an antique rose color and glued them along the roofline and sprinkled micro pearls in between to fill in the gaps. I glued larger pearls around the base and micro beads along the tops of the pearls. As a final finish I rubbed a white wash over the whole birdhouse with a make-up sponge to bring out the die-cuts.

Black Jewel - I base coated the whole house in white and then I glued old book pages and german Scrap on to the roof. I took a dark chocolate colored glaze and rubbed it over the house and painted the trim the dark chocolate color. The jewels are from a scrapbooking sheet that I cut apart and used on every side of the birdhouse.

I hope to photograph the other birdhouse sometime tomorrow if I can do it outside before the rain comes.

1 comment:

lilibulle said...

wow valerie!! these birdhouses are gorgeous!! good job.. the pinck one is so romantic and the black one, so chic!! i like both!