Thursday, March 19, 2009

Something Fashionable From Something Free

Click on the picture to see a larger view.




Almost three years ago my husband and I had an addition put on our house plus we updated a few other rooms. His cousin works for KSI so he did all the cabinets for the new bathrooms as well as the kitchen. We ended up with scores of those sample chips you can get for free to choose countertops. His cousin said to me "You're very creative... I bet you can think of something to do with all these". Well the challenge was on and I ended up making about 35 necklaces in the first batch. I later gave them away at my husbands annual family picnic that fall. I then proceeded to make a bunch more with some "red hat" postage stamps I designed and gave them to my mom for her red hat group. (She is queen mother and used them as prizes and giveaways at events.) I am now hosting a swap for these necklaces on my Yahoo list and these are the 20 necklaces that all the participants will get.

They are colored with alcohol inks and then embellished with polymer clay faces, postage stamps, rhinestones, glitter, stamped embossing, beads, charms and paper. I sanded the corners to round them off and even cut a few into a shape with metal shears. The holes were the perfect size for larger eyelets and the ones that have dangles on I punched a hole with my Crop-A-Dial tool.

Go pick up a few at your local Lowe's or Home Depot. (They are usually on a pegboard back by the design desk for the kitchen and bath section.) Have some fun and make some necklaces, but be careful! They are very addictive.

2 comments:

Lady Di said...

Valerie, your necklaces are fantastic ... how clever you are.

jerseytjej said...

I have not seen one of these tile samples so I did not participate, but they came out fabulously and I must try and find some! The alcohol inks work really well on these. Gina