Click on the pictures to see a larger view.
I thought I would post a project that is a little outside my regular workshop area. We live in a house built in 1949 and has a very open contemporary, Frank Lloyd Wright feel to it. When I walked in the door with the realtor I immediately said "we'll take it". His response was "don't you want to see the rest of the house and wait until your husband get's here?" I said "oh sure we can but I know he will say the same thing." I was right he walked in the door 15 minutes behind us and said the same thing. (He did add "Cool house" to the other statements.)
The first picture is of the wall from our living room and separates the foyer from looking directly into the dining room. If you walk on the right side of the wall and down 4 steps to the right you will be at our front door. Anyways when we moved in this wall was covered with mirrors so every time you walked in you got a look at yourself. We ripped off the mirrors hoping the paneling (called Scratchboard) would be salvageable. As you can see they used construction adhesive to put up the tempered mirrors so we had to take them down with sledge hammers and crow bars. (They did not come down easily) We then ripped off the paneling to reveal a layer of homosote board. (It's pressed newspaper and was used before drywall was common.) We had another mess on our hands and couldn't decide if we wanted to rip it off or cover it up. For months (actually years) we had debated what to with this wall and could not come to a decision that we both agreed upon. We finally decided to do a mosaic of different kinds of wood in different thicknesses and stains. My husband helped me the first weekend but it took me the rest of 2 solid weeks to finish this wall. I had to fit every piece by hand and keep them in place with push pins. Then I had to take a section down one piece at a time and mark around them on the wall and also mark which stain they were to be colored. I would stain them, let them dry, and attach them to the wall, then start another section. Occasionally there is a piece of hammered copper which I also did by taking a piece of wood and covering it with roof flashing then I would hammer the heck out of it with a ball peen hammer. (Very good for getting your frustrations out, but very tiring.)
All in all I think it turned out pretty good.