Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Larger Dragonfly Engine

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

I loved the first "Dragonfly Engine" that I did so much that I had to make one for myself. I did this one a little larger and it is made from a piece of wood about 4" x 5.5". I covered it in this leather fabric that I ripped off of an old sewing machine cover I had. I also took apart the sewing machine and used some of the pieces on the "engine". Don't feel bad about the sewing machine. I used to collect them and this one was not in very good condition. I had tried to give it away several times and no one would take it. So now it's higher purpose in life is to become art. (Not a bad deal if you ask me.)

Here are some more details on it.

1. The wings are made like the others and are printed on an inkjet transparency and then colored with alcohol ink. The wings actually flap up and down thanks to a pair of cufflinks that I attached them to. (Those are the wire covered circles you see.)

2. The "power source" on top that is colored blue is an old bottle that used to have micro beads in. I colored it blue with alcohol ink and filled it with fake ice flakes to make it shimmer. The ends are caped with mirror eyelets I found at Lowes and a couple of brass coins from another country. (You can see the edge of the coins next to the copper collar.) The 2 green stones on each end are 2 more cufflinks that I cut apart and colored lime green with alcohol ink.

3. The "radiator" is a wooden slide mount that I covered with copper and then drilled holes to insert some mini brads into. It is backed with a piece of brass screening. Notice the fan to keep air moving on the inside of the radiator. I had to carve out an area behind where the slide mount fit to allow the fan to sit in. It also has a small gear that drives it with a belt attached to it.

4. The handle on the right is made from another cufflink and actually turns. It is attached by a head pin and an earring back to a decorative screw eyelet.

5. The large silver wheels and arm are the parts from my old sewing machine. (So is the knob on the side.) The other gears are from various watches that I have bought off of Ebay.

6. The 2 corner decorations on the bottom are made from polymer clay. I made a mold from the original metal one I had because I couldn't find those corner pieces anymore.

7. The 2 lights just above the corner decoration on the one side are from an old strand of christmas tree lights that didn't work anymore. (I colored them with more alcohol ink.) I found the copper sleeves in the electrical section at Lowes that fit them perfectly. (I have no idea what the copper sleeves are for.)

8. The leather straps took me a while to figure out how to attach them and make them like real metal loops. I simply took some heavy copper wire (Found at Lowes in the aisle where they cut wire for you) and bent it into a "U" shape. I then drilled 2 holes the right width apart and pounded them in.

All in all I am happy with the way this turned out. Now I just have to figure out where to hang it.


tracy said...

As usual your work is simply beautiful and full of detail. Thank you for sharing the details of how you made it all come together; and the different unique pieces you used.

ladycherie said...

Wonderful stuff...thanks so much for sharing and for telling us how it was done. Sharon at a atc uk

Lady Di said...

This is amazing ... you must have some sort of engineering degree to put something like this together.

di said...

OMG - this is fabulous - certainly makes me want to try this

Rhissanna said...

Oh my. No really, that's all I have to say. It's wonderful.