Friday, January 2, 2009

Valentines Ornament

Click on the pictures to see a larger view.


I know I haven't posted in almost a week but I have been busy. I joined a swap for Valentines Ornaments because I felt like doing some "crazy quilting" again. I have been working on all 4 hearts simultaneously but I have only this one done so far. I used to make crazy quilted vests for a consignment shop many years ago and I used to have tons of scraps. Unfortunately I got rid of all my fabric and I wish I hadn't. I still have all my antique lace, buttons, napkins and handkerchiefs so I made due with that. I have actually sewn longer then I have scrapbooked. (My mom made me learn at 14.) In High school I made most of my own clothes when I had to start buying them with my own money. Later on I designed wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses until I got sick of dealing with cranky brides to be. (Yes I made my own dress, bridesmaid dresses, flowers, and jewelry.) My favorite achievement to this day is when I entered a vest contest through Joann Fabrics. I was astonished to learn several months later that out of 225 entries I had won grand prize. (The contest was in 1996 and I still have the letter framed and hanging on my workshop wall.)

Anyways it's nice to pick up a needle and thread even if my hands are a little stiff and aching.

7 comments:

Lady Di said...

Wow Valerie, that ornament is breathtaking. It must have taken ages to finish.

Tammy said...

Valerie! That is positively delicious! You have shown again your talent and versatility. WOW! I am I ENVIOUS of the recipients of these little "lovelies". I'd love to know which group they are for, I enjoy fabric also and am always looking for somewhere to share!
Tammy *at ATC World

Karen S said...

What a beautiful heart!

Iowa Sunshine said...

That is just SO cute! If i could do that i'd talk you into trading but your in luck...i can't! LOL. That is truly beautiful! I'd love to see the others. Thanks for sharing. HUGS

rush8888 said...

absolutely stunning! my favorite color combination! the crazy quilted heart is exquisite! either i will hunt you down and steal yours, or, most likely, i will have to make some of these. i belong to a quilt group, QWAC's (quilting women acting crazy), and presenting this idea just might be in order. thank you for sharing your talent.

Linda Dunn said...

Awesome * Faboo * Wondermous!

Elena said...

Wow! Val I can't get over everything you know how to do!!! What is crazy quilting? I would join the swap if I had any idea how to do this!