Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Steam Punk is Cool

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

I have finished another card for a swap called "Enchanted Objects". (This card is called Enchanted Clock.) The whole idea for this swap was to have the card overflow the edges and go overboard on the embellishments. ( I think I achieved the goal on this one.)

It is done in a style I have recently heard about called "Steam Punk". It marries old fashioned style from the Victorian era with modern technology but the twist is that the technology part never made it past being powered by steam. A good example of it is the movie "Wild West" with Will Smith and Kevin Kline. The style is all about brass and gears and wood with old copper and weathered silver. Lots of rivets and screws and wire hold it all together with a bit of victorian lace and velvet.

Well I have to go finish the other three cards for this swap. Ta Ta for now!

4 comments:

Iowa Sunshine said...

I really love this one Valerie! It reminds me of an old broach i once had! Wonderful work. I could get into this one i think. =) HUGS

Anonymous said...

Great piece, love all the pieces.
Cindy Whiddon

Juliet A said...

I like this. I've heard the term Steampunk, but I never really understood how to do it. Same with Zetti. I recognize it when I see it, but it is just out of my artistic reach.

Deb said...

Wow! Your creations are fabulous.