Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Nutcracker Suite

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

I host a monthly art doll swap on an ATC list I belong to and the theme for December was of course Christmas. I was originally going to make a Santa, but I wanted to do something different then the obvious. (Don't get me wrong I LOVE Santa's. In fact my whole Christmas is decorated with just Santa's.) My sister suggested doing a nutcracker and so here he is. The hair and beard is done with something called "Flower Soft" and I really love using it. I think it is the same stuff that model train makers use to put leaves on trees. Anyways it is available in many colors other then green or "fall" colors for us crafters and is very cool to use.

The epaulets are done with a piece of gold metallic ribbon which has been frayed once it was glued down. (You thought I glued each one of those fibers down individually didn't you?) Well I did try it that way with gold embroidery floss. It worked out OK but it was taking too long and trying my last nerve. If I had more time I wanted to make the mouth move like a real nutcracker does but mind just wasn't giving me any bright ideas.

January's theme is The New Years and I have no idea what I am going to do. (Excuse me I have to go call my sister.)

2 comments:

Linda Dunn said...

He is gorgeous!

Artzy 4 U said...

He is awesome! When I read you have to call your sister I had to laugh. I am always calling my sister to talk through ideas when I get stuck...lol