Friday, January 23, 2009

Davinci's Folly

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

I know that Davinci is a little early to be considered victorian, which is what the steam punk style is based on, but I have always had a fascination with him. I took his idea of the wings that you often see drawings of from his sketch books and I made them so they unfolded. I was originally going to do 2 of them but after taking 2 hours on the first one I'd had enough. The wing has a hand dyed piece of fabric for the body which is hand stitched over the hand hammered copper wire frame. I then took smaller wire and stitched them onto the wing to mimic the veins and give it a little stiffness.

I remembered an old box of cufflinks that my husband inherited from his dad, many of which had no matches. I gleefully cut and sawed them apart and sorted through the small pieces. What I ended up using was one of the swivel pieces that you insert through the button hole. It is the bar shaped handle on the side of the lights. The base of it is an earring back and it actually turns. (Pretty clever if I do say so myself.) The wheel on the other side also turns around by grabbing the small handle which also spins. Another part of a cufflink is the teardrop shaped lever at the top by the gauge. It also moves so that you can regulate the steam before it builds up too far. (Yeah I know my imagination gets too carried away sometimes.)

Well my husband is very exhausted from his trip and I hear this small voice coming from the bedroom. (He sounds so pathetic when he is tired.)

5 comments:

Lady Di said...

The detail of this creation is just unbelievable ... it's fantastic.

Caatje said...

You're steam punk cards are absolutely fantastic! Now I'm sad I'm not in that swap, haha.

Juliet A said...

This is jaw-droppingly amazing - it needs to be seen to be believed.

Kathy said...

Wow Valerie...this is truly a work of art! I love it! An ATC assemblage! Your work is terrific!

Marina-Cherry Pie said...

You do really beautiful artwork!!