Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Calling Captain Nemo

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

Except for a half hour break for lunch and few bathroom breaks, I have been working on this card all day. (I call it Captain Nemo's Communicator.) It has been a real challenge to come up with some of these embellishments but it has been worth it. The eyepiece on the top actually swivels up and I had to make it by hand. I started with a small brass ring which I glued a piece of packaging plastic to, then once it was dry I filled it with Diamond glaze. The arm is a piece of a watch which swivels on a mini brad and a small brass washer.

The "thingamabob" on the side is made from a piece of coiled wire with beads glued on the ends. I then had to insert wires into holes I drilled in the side of the wooden frame because no matter what kind of glue I used the coil would pop off. (I had to fill the beads with silicone and then let it dry before I could stick the coil on the wires.) The bulb is a simple christmas tree light that I wrapped a piece of brass and some wire around the bottom.

Hopefully this is something that Captain Nemo would use to call his home boys.

5 comments:

Juliet A said...

This is a real jawdropper. If I worked that hard on something, I would have a hard time letting it go.

Lori Northon said...

Oh! My! Gosh! This is utterly amazing, and looks so Steam Punk. What a fantastic job! If I were in that swap, I would be so happy to get this. Totally incredible! Great work! Can you tell I love it?

Hugs!
Lori

Lady Di said...

This is amazing ... you put so much effort into your creations. Great job.

Kathy said...

WOWZA! This is a-ma-zing! Beautiful work! No wonder you need to take a break! Great job Valerie!

Lori said...

What a great piece of art! great job! Love what you did with the pieces to make Capt. Nemos communicator!