Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Back to the 40's and 50's

Click on the picture to see a larger view.


I finished 2 ATC Art dolls for a swap that is "retro" themed. I usually have trouble with this kind of subject but I finally had a break through and did some art that I think turned out well.

I used to do a lot of sewing a while ago so the Susie Homemaker one came pretty easy. The other one was inspired by an old ad I found for nylons. I had to re-do a lot of the type and the graphics myself because the original ad was not very good quality. (When I printed it out it was very blurry.) The image of the girl is actually a "Vargas" pin-up girl that I scanned from a book of his art work that I own. Her skirt is a piece of organza that I ruched and tied around her waist. The background of the card is actually a knee high of mine that I cut up and wrapped around the backing.

If you want some good sources of images here are a few sites that I found helpful. The Rusty Zipper has tons of old sewing patterns to look at as well as vintage clothing for sale. http://www.rustyzipper.com. The Fashion Era site has tons of stuff about history as well as images from the early 1800's up to the present time. http://www.fashion-era.com/ If those 2 sites don't have something you can use simply type in "retro fashion images" on a search engine and you'll get lots of choices.

1 comment:

crafty creations said...

brilliant!!! Love them both and how ingenius to use your knee highs - thanks for the links to those sites off to have a nosy